No one questions that the healthcare environment is rapidly changing and these changes are being accelerated at an even greater pace due to the healthcare reform. The ACMEGS goal is to make the membership valuable not just from an educational standpoint, but also from a monetary perspective. Here are only a few highlights from a detailed recount of the Society’s accomplishments:
- The ACMEGS has been continuously working on improving the MEG coverage and reimbursement with the CMS and commercial payers. This is vital for our individual and collective existence.
- In 2009, the ACMEGS obtained a MEG specific revenue code for MEG effective April 1, 2010. Consequently, the CMS will better capture the true costs of MEG and determine an appropriate reimbursement rate. All of us will benefit directly from this cardinal accomplishment.
- The ACMEGS successfully directly negotiated MEG coverage with a number of large commercial insurance carriers representing approximately 60 million covered lives. Just a fraction of single appropriately reimbursed MEG study will pay for your annual center membership in the ACMEGS.
- The ACMEGS represents a united voice for clinical MEG and maintains a national focus on clinical practice guidelines, government regulation, and third party reimbursement. Our Practice Guidelines Committee is finalizing true clinical practice guidelines that will be the first of its kind in the world. All clinicians have the full appreciation of the importance of this undertaking.
- The ACMEGS sponsors an annual society meeting covering scientific and economic aspects of clinical MEG services in the United States. In 2010 we will have a joint meeting with the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society (ACNS).